December’s Students’ Inspiration of The Month title goes to Niamh Larkin!
Niamh is a long time member of Galway pole dancing community and she’s been with The Coven from the very beginning. We find her ongoing support, dedication and time management skills – she trains 2 or 3 times a week despite being a busy mum! Read her story below which we think is a must read especially if you still wonder if you should try pole dancing or not 😉
“I’ve been pole dancing since early 2016. I started about a month after having my son, as I needed some me-time and figured why not get fit while I’m at it! What started out as an hour a week to get me out of the house, quickly turned into an obsession – I upped my membership to two classes a week because one just wasn’t enough!
Pole dancing has changed me! It’s changed my body, my confidence, my strength, balance, coordination, my attitude towards fitness, my appreciation for other women and their abilities, but most of all it has changed my self-worth and self-belief. It’s given me something to do with my spare time that makes me driven, excited and proud of what I have achieved. It’s brought passion and discipline into my life. I can’t recommend it highly enough.
Having instructors like Edyta, Ava, Angelina and Taryn on my pole journey has definitely contributed to my all round experience of pole – you won’t find a more supportive bunch. They keep classes fun and fresh and make everyone feel welcome and comfortable. Their love of their jobs is enough to get anyone excited about learning pole!
The advice I’d give to fellow pole dance students would be:
- never compare yourself to anyone else! Every pole journey is unique, and everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, just focus on doing YOUR best
- train safe! Be patient and use correct technique. It may take longer to nail certain moves but your muscles will thank you! Try not to rush and enjoy the process!
- if you’re worried about looking silly: absolutely everybody had a first day. Nobody started off amazing! Even your instructor was a student once, there will be no judgement!
- the pole dancing community is a very supportive one. You’re guaranteed to make new friends in your classmates:)
- pole dance changed my life (see above🤣) if you want to feel strong, confident, empowered and badass, then give it a go – what’s the worst that could happen?